- Plans are important, but Drills build capability and can save lives.
- Smoke kills more people than fire.
- Thinking about a full school evacuation to a fire on a Friday morning is the last thing you would expect.
- Incidents occur when you least expect them
- Did an evacuation relocation plan for student reunification with parents exist?
- How were student relocated to the reunification site? Walk? Bus?
- How would have this evacuation and relocation have been different if it was in February?
What happend: An electrical room fire which generated smoke forced the evacuation and closure of Woodrow Wilson Middle School. Two custodians were sent to the hospital with minor smoke inhalation. The fire started at 8:15 am Friday morning which sent smoke throughout the building.The school staff and around 700 students evacuated the building without incident. The school remained closed for the remainder of the day while officials evaluated damage (smoke damage). The fire was limited to the electrical room and is under investigation.
FIRE DRILLS ARE NO JOKE, AND CONTINUE TO ENSURE OUR STUDENTS AND STAFF ARE PREPARED FOR A NO-NOTICE LIFE THREATENING INCIDENT.