|Janitor John Leubbers|
Parents said LaCara did a good job at the school. LaCara was the married father of three daughters and a respected school administrator known for his sense of humor and love of sports. He lived near Carmichael. "It's a tragedy for Placerville and our entire society," said at an afternoon news conference. The El Dorado County office of Education said Thursday classes at all three Placerville district schools are canceled.
Points for Consideration:
- Workplace violence between adults or between adults and students is a reality. Not all violence that takes place at schools is between students.
- In times of budget cuts and job layoffs, sometime educational leaders can be put in situations where they have to eliminate positions, programs, or terminate personnel because of poor performance.
- Employers who have to terminate employees need to plan for worst case scenario because an untrained individual reacting to an emotionally distraught individual or an irate and potentially violent individual can easily lose control of the situation.
- Having the School Resource Officer or School Security aware of the termination meeting is a prudent measure.
- Employees can be experiencing stress in their lives or be in crisis, and educational leaders and co-workers may not be aware of this or the volatility that can occur. There is such a focus on the right of privacy that folks forget about public safety or workplace safety.
- How do school administrators become aware of employees who may have a mental disorder or who may be developing one?
- In reduced budgetary times, educational leaders are often having to task employees to do more with less help or resources. This can generate stress in the workforce and must be a consideration in managing organizational morale.
PREPAREDNESS, NOT PARANOIA