STUDENT / CHILD PHYSICAL SAFETY IS THE NUMBER ONE PREPAREDNESS GOAL.
While this horrific story is about failed parental supervision resulting in a predator's abuse of a child, there are numerous points for consideration for student safety and security. THIS WAS NOT A SCHOOL TRIP.
Points for Consideration:
- As a parent, do you know the adults that come in contact with your child?
- As a teacher or educational leader, do you know the adults who come in contact with your students throughout the course of the school day and extracurricular activities?
- Schools which have Child Development Centers, have special considerations about child safety & security.
- Volunteers for school trips must be vetted. Just because you think you "know" someone (as the mother in this story did) doesn't mean that you truly know who they are.
- If students see, hear, or expereince something they feel or know is inappropriate do they know who and how to report it?
- If a student has a drastic change in behavior, what resources do you have available to try to determine if there is a problem?